UW Graduate School

Graduate Study in More than One Field

Graduate students with interests in more than a single field of study have several options, outlined below. In considering any of these possibilities, advice should be sought from faculty in the student’s program. Immediate oversight of each graduate student’s program is the responsibility of graduate faculty in that program.

Interdisciplinary Programs

Many graduate programs throughout the university allow for substantial interdisciplinary research and training. In addition, there are a number of inter-school/college interdisciplinary degree programs housed in the Graduate School. Graduate School Memo 5 outlines the creation and function of Graduate School interdisciplinary committees and groups.

Concurrent Degrees

Graduate students may pursue two degrees simultaneously, resulting in completion of the requirements for either two graduate degrees or a graduate and a professional degree. Students may coordinate with any two degree-offering units to pursue “informal” concurrent degrees. Two degree-offering units may also officially collaborate on an ongoing basis to establish a “formal” concurrent degree. Details can be found in Graduate School Memo 35.

Joint/dual degrees between two units at UW

The UW currently does not support joint degrees between units (where a single degree is earned for work done in each unit). Faculty members and students of existing departments or programs who are interested in coordinating two degree programs should follow the guidelines for concurrent degrees.

Joint/dual degrees between the UW and other institutions

The UW currently does not support joint degrees with other institutions (where a single degree is earned, endorsed by two institutions, for work done at both institutions). Dual degree programs may be established by degree-offering units with other institutions in close coordination with the Graduate School’s Office of Academic Affairs & Planning and, when appropriate, with the Office of Global Affairs. In special cases, students may coordinate with another institution to earn an individual dual degree (where each institution grants its own distinct degree for work done collaboratively between the two institutions). Individual dual degrees are most applicable to doctoral work done in collaboration with international institutions. For more information on dual degrees, contact the Graduate School’s Office of Academic Affairs & Planning.