Skip to Content
Skip to Navigation
Share |
The Graduate School

G-1 Communications Building
Box 353770
Seattle, Washington 98195-3770

Phone: 206.543.5900
Fax: 206.685.3234

Graduate Admissions

Visiting Graduate Students

Visiting graduate status allows students who are actively pursuing a graduate degree at another college or university to take graduate courses at the University of Washington and transfer a limited number of credits back to their home institution. (Acceptance as a visiting graduate student does not confer priority for later admission to a graduate program at the UW.) The length of enrollment is determined by the number of quarters approved by the home institution and the UW graduate program that admits the visiting graduate applicant. Students may hold visiting graduate status in only one graduate program at a time and may not hold any other student status while enrolled as a visiting graduate student. (To find out if a graduate program accepts visiting graduate applications, see the graduate program listing.)

Citizenship and Visa Status

U.S. citizens, permanent residents (green card holders), immigrants and international applicants may apply for visiting graduate status. (Applicants requesting an F-1 or J-1 visa must meet the UW's financial ability requirement to show that they have adequate funding to cover living costs and tuition and campus fees for the first year of study.)

Admission Requirements

Prospective visiting graduate students must meet the following minimum requirement:

  • Be in good standing and actively pursuing a graduate degree at another regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or its equivalent from a foreign institution.

Graduate programs may have additional admission requirements.

Application Deadlines

Applicants should contact the graduate program. A list of graduate programs can be found in the graduate program listing.

Application Procedures

  • Review graduate program admissions requirements. A list of graduate programs can be found in the graduate program listing.
  • Submit a Graduate School Application, Apply Online (Select Visiting Graduate for application type.)

Registration Procedures

  • Visiting graduate students register for classes in MyUW.
  • Visiting graduate students must maintain continuous enrollment if they have been admitted for multiple quarters of study or lose their visiting graduate student status.
  • Visiting graduate students holding an F-1 or J-1 visa must register for a minimum of 10 credits each quarter of attendance.

Additional Information


Please send questions to