UW Graduate School

Official Transcript Requirements

Once admitted, the academic department will select at least one degree, bachelor’s (four-year) or higher, to be verified by the Graduate School. Students are required to submit an official transcript through one of the delivery methods listed below. Transcripts uploaded to the online application by the applicant or the academic department are not considered official.

Final official transcripts must contain the following information:

  • Completion of all coursework with grades or marks issued for each year of study
  • Degree earned and date the degree was conferred
    • If your institution does not print the conferral date on your transcript, a degree statement, diploma, or other document with the conferral date will also be required.
  • Official stamp, seal, and/or embossed marking from the school
  • Transcripts and degree documents that are in a language other than English must be accompanied with an official English translation (translated by a university, government official/organization, or a certified translation service, example: American Translators Association

Delivery Methods

Certified Electronic Transcripts (Preferred Method)

Acceptable electronic transcripts must be:

  • Sent to gemsdocs@uw.edu from the issuing institution or its authorized agent (e.g., National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment, Scrip Safe)
  • Passcode protected
  • Digitally signed 
  • Properly certified by the issuing institution 

Unacceptable electronic transcripts:

  • E-mail attachments
  • Sent by student
  • Sent by third party credential evaluations (e.g., Foundation for International Services, Educational Credential Evaluators) with exception of WES ICAP (see below)

Postal Mail/Express Courier (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.) 

  • If your institution will be mailing a traditional paper transcript, it must be in an official sealed envelope. If the envelope has been opened, it will not be accepted. Have the institution send it to the address below.
Standard postal service or Express Courier Service
University of Washington
Graduate Enrollment Management Services
Box 353770
Seattle, WA USA 98195-3770
  University of Washington
Graduate Enrollment Management Services
G-1 Communications
4109 Stevens Way
Seattle, WA USA 98195-3770


If you earned your degree(s) outside of the United States you may submit a World Education Services (WES) International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) evaluation, which includes verified copies of your official transcripts and degree certificates. To electronically submit your WES ICAP to the University of Washington, follow the instructions provided by WES.

Note: We will not accept the WES Basic or any other credential evaluation to fulfill the transcript requirement. Only the WES ICAP meets this requirement.

Transcript Submission Problems

Complete the Transcript Verification Waiver Request form if:

  • Your institution cannot send a certified electronic transcript. 
  • Your institution cannot mail an official sealed transcript. 
  • Your school records office (Registrar / Controller of Examination) is closed.
  • You are required to travel to obtain your documents and cannot currently travel.
  • The conferral (award) of your degree has been postponed.
  • You received only one original transcript and/or diploma, and your institution will not issue another certified copy.

Official Transcripts Submission Notice:

Official transcripts become the property of the University of Washington Graduate School. Transcripts will not be returned, and copies will not be released to students or third parties.