The Graduate School
G-1 Communications Building
Seattle, Washington 98195-3770
UW Academic Student Employees (ASE) Contract
University of Washington and UAW Reach New Three-Year Agreement
The University of Washington and the United Auto Workers (UAW) Local 4121 have reached an agreement on a new three-year contract,
which covers teaching assistants, research assistants, readers, graders, and tutors – known collectively as academic student employees (ASEs).
The contract was approved by the UW Board of Regents on June 7, and will remain effective through April 30, 2015.
“The University's Key Leadership Initiative regarding wages demonstrates our commitment to recruiting and retaining the best academic
student employees, and we are tremendously pleased to have reached this agreement with the UAW,” said Mindy Kornberg, vice president for Human Resources.
"ASEs are an integral part of the undergraduate experience, and we are glad we can provide stability for them during these challenging economic times."
The contract’s three main provisions involve wages, insurance, and childcare:
Key Leadership Initiative: The University will align ASE base salaries with the median base salary of UW’s Global Challenge States peer group.
ASEs will receive annual wage increases, beginning July 1, 2013 through July 1, 2015 as follows:
- Salaried, Non-variable Wage Scale: ASEs in departments that follow the University recommended salary schedule will receive an annual
percentage wage increase toward matching the Global Challenge States median by July 1, 2015, or a 4 percent raise, whichever is greater each year.
- Salaried, Variable Wage Scale: ASEs in departments that supplement the recommended salary schedule who are already paid above the
Global Challenge States median will receive an annual wage increase of at least 2 percent, or any departmental raise, whichever is greater.
- Hourly Wage Scale: ASEs on an hourly wage scale will receive a 2 percent raise each year.
In addition, all salaried ASEs holding an eligible appointment during the 2012-13 academic year will receive a $50 one-time pay supplement.
This payment will occur for each eligible ASE during the first quarter of the 2012-2013 academic year in which they hold an appointment (Autumn 2012,
Winter 2013, or Spring 2013).
It will be processed on the fourth pay period of the quarter, which means:
- If an eligible ASE’s appointment begins in Autumn quarter 2012, they will receive their $50 payment on the second pay date in November, 2012.
- If an eligible ASE’s appointment begins in Winter quarter 2013, they will receive their $50 payment on the second pay date in February, 2013.
- If an eligible ASE’s appointment begins in Spring quarter 2013, they will receive their $50 payment on the second pay date in May, 2013.
The University will preserve the current Graduate Appointee Insurance Program for the duration of the contract, and will absorb the rising
premium costs accounting for up to a 6 percent annual inflation increase.
The University has increased its commitment to ASE childcare expenses by $10,000 for fiscal year 2013, and will increase this by $2,500 each
subsequent year for the duration of the contract.
The contract is negotiated under chapter 41.56, of the Revised Code of Washington and is not subject to the state’s current salary restrictions
that are in place until June 30, 2013. The contract will soon be available at
Information taken from University of Washington press release