The Graduate School
G-1 Communications Building
Seattle, Washington 98195-3770
Master's Degree Policies
Master's Degree Requirements
A student must satisfy the requirements for the degree that are in force at the time the degree is to be awarded
- At least 36 credits must be completed
- All courses numbered 400-799 that are numerically graded 2.7 and above, or have a grade of Satisfactory or Credit ('S' or 'CR') count toward the 36 credit total. 499 courses are not counted in the 36 credit total.
- Courses graded less than 2.7 do not count towards the 36 credit total.
- At least 18 credits must be in courses numbered 500 and above.
- 18 credits must be numerically graded in department approved 400-level courses accepted as part of the major and in 500-level courses. This excludes 499 and transfer credits.
- No more than 6 graduate level quarter credits can be transferred from other academic institutions to count toward the 36 credit total.
- No more than 12 UW Graduate Non-matriculated credits can be applied to the 36 credit total.
- No more than 12 credits derived from any combination of UW Graduate Non-matriculated credits and transfer credits can be applied to the 36 credit total.
- If a student repeats a non-repeatable class, only one set of credits counts toward the 36 credit total.
- A minimum cumulative GPA (grade point average) of 3.00 is required for a graduate degree at the University
- The Master's Degree Request must be filed according to posted quarterly dates and deadlines.
- Must complete all degree requirements within six years
- The timeframe/clock begins on the first day of the quarter that the Graduate Student uses a course to satisfy degree requirements when he/she is coded as either a Graduate Non-Matriculated student (Department Code with class 6) or as a Graduate Student (Department code with class 8) in the department to which he/she is admitted.
- UW Graduate Non-matriculated credits used towards the 36 course credit total are counted in the six years.
- Quarters spent On-Leave and out of status are counted in the six years.
- Must maintain registration through the end of the quarter in which the degree is conferred or, if eligible, pay the Graduate Registration Waiver Fee within 14 days following the last day of the quarter in which all degree requirements were met.
- Thesis track students are required to take a minimum of 9 thesis credits in their 36 credit total.
- Thesis Track students are required to submit their thesis to the Graduate School. See Final Submission of Your Electronic Thesis or Disssertation (ETD).