The Graduate School
G-1 Communications Building
Seattle, Washington 98195-3770
General Graduate School Policies
Graduate Registration Waiver Fee
The $250 Graduate Registration Waiver Fee is an optional fee paid in lieu of registration. It is available to qualifying students for a 2 week period directly following the quarter in which all Graduate School and graduate program degree requirements are met. Qualifying students who pay this fee will graduate in the quarter following the fee payment period. Note: This option may have an effect on the grace period for student loans becoming due; students should check with their
lenders for registration requirements before utilizing this option in lieu of registration.
- Master's students who did not submit a Master's degree request prior to the request deadline for the quarter in which all degree requirements were completed
- Students who completed all degree requirements but needed additional time to format the thesis or dissertation (project papers are not included)
NOTE: International students must consult with an adviser in the Office of International Students and Scholars to determine their eligibility for this option.
- Students must have been registered for the previous quarter
- Students must have completed all Graduate School and graduate program degree requirements (courses, examinations, etc.); the only exception being submission of the thesis/dissertation.
- The fee must be paid and theses/dissertations must be submitted in the UW ETD Administrator Site no later than 14 calendar days following the last day of the quarter in which all degree requirements were met
- Master's students must submit a master's degree request within the first week (5 weekdays) of the quarter in which they will graduate (MyGrad - Student View)
||Do you qualify to pay the fee?
|You're a master's student who suddenly realized that you had enough credits to graduate but you missed the master's request deadline
|You're a thesis/dissertation student and have completed all degree requirements, you've defended the thesis/dissertation and your committee has approved the document but you haven't completed formatting your footnotes
|You're finishing the paper for your capstone project
|You are finishing work to remove an "Incomplete" from your transcript
|You're a thesis/dissertation student and have completed all degree requirements, you've defended the thesis/dissertation, and your committee has asked you to rewrite portions of your document before they will sign the document's signature page
|You completed all degree requirements and then went on-leave. You returned from leave and want to graduate.
How To Request Fee to be Added to Student Account:
- Send email to Student Fiscal Services at firstname.lastname@example.org requesting the fee to be added to student account. Once you receive reply that fee has been added, pay fee using one of the methods below.
- Online through MyUW: webcheck (free) or credit card (added convenience fee)
- US Mail: Mail in the payment along with a note identifying payment for the $250 Graduate Registration Waiver Fee, student name and number.
Address: UW Student Fiscal Services, PO Box 3981, Seattle, WA 98124-3981
- In-Person: (Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
Pay the $250 Graduate Registration Waiver Fee at the Student Fiscal Services Office - 129 Schmitz Hall
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the deadline for submitting a thesis or dissertation 11:59 p.m. PST on the last day of a given quarter?
Yes. If you miss this deadline then you must apply to graduate during the following quarter and are eligible to pay The Graduate Registration Waiver Fee if all other degree requirements were met.
What if I pay The Graduate Registration Waiver Fee to submit my thesis or dissertation, but then don’t make the 2 week deadline for submitting the document?
You must register for credits and The Graduate Registration Waiver Fee will either be refunded to you or credited toward your tuition.
What if I neglected to pay The Graduate Registration Waiver Fee by the 2 week deadline?
You must register for credits to graduate.
Can I use the Graduate Registration Waiver Fee instead of registering if I am finishing my project paper or satisfying an "Incomplete" grade within the 2 week fee period?
No, registration is required to graduate for those situations.
Must I be registered for tuition credits the quarter in which I take my final examination?
Yes, you must be registered; The Graduate Registration Waiver Fee does not apply.
What if I am missing a faculty signature for my thesis or dissertation, or I have encountered a technical difficulty in printing a few pages of my document? Must I pay The Graduate Registration Waiver Fee and graduate in the subsequent quarter?
If you encounter these types of situations, contact Graduate Enrollment Management Services (206-685-2630 or email@example.com) as early as possible and no later than the last day of the quarter in which you intend to graduate.
This fee was established by The Graduate School and approved by the Provost Office beginning Autumn Quarter 2004. The money collected from the fee is applied to the UW General Fund.