Skip to Content
Skip to Navigation
Share |
The Graduate School

G-1 Communications Building
Box 353770
Seattle, Washington 98195-3770

Phone: 206.543.5900
Fax: 206.685.3234

International Student Tuition Waivers

Definition and Policy

The State of Washington has made 300 quarters of tuition waivers available to support international student exchanges and international students with the primary emphasis of creating international opportunities for Washington residents. Tuition waivers for international graduate students who attend the University of Washington as part of a degree program, or as part of a specialized fellowship program like Fulbright, are managed by the Office of Fellowships and Awards in the Graduate School. Tuition waivers for international students who visit the UW as part of a formal exchange are managed by the Office of International Programs and Exchanges. Note: Formal exchanges of students between the UW and international partners are established by bilateral, signed Agreements on Student Exchange.

Formal Exchanges (undergraduate and graduate students)

For information about undergraduate waivers and waivers for graduate students on formal exchanges, contact the Office of International Programs and Exchanges:

Graduate Student Waivers

Awards through the Graduate School will be made on a rolling basis throughout the year. Preference is given in these areas:

  1. Students who are sponsored and financially assisted by recognized international education programs (e.g., Fulbright).
  2. Recruitment and retention of international students for graduate-level study, especially to support international students from countries under-represented at the UW. Tuition waivers can be used to support up to one year of Master's or Ph.D coursework.


  • Students may receive no more than three quarters (total) of international student waivers.
  • Student must have a F or J visa for the quarter(s) in which the waiver is applied.
  • Student must be enrolled at the UW under the terms of his/her visa category for the quarter(s) in which the waiver is applied.
  • Students may NOT receive an Academic Student Employee position (e.g., TA, RA) during the quarter when the waiver is applied.
  • Students may NOT be enrolled in fee-based or other programs that do not charge UW tuition.
  • Students may NOT receive a waiver if they have or will receive Washington state residency during the period covered by the waiver.
  • Students may NOT be in the VISIT or VISER programs.

How to Request Waivers

Requests must come from authorized department personnel (not individual students or faculty) and are made through the MyGradProgram GSFEI portal.

Requests must include:
  1. Name of student
  2. Quarters for which waivers are requested
  3. Amount of waiver--use current nonresident tuition amount
  4. Justification statement. It should relate to the specific student for whom you are requesting waivers, and should include:
    • Country of origin of the student
    • Reason waiver is needed.
    • How does this waiver contribute to the mission of the University and department?
    • How does this waiver benefit the state of Washington?


For more information about graduate student waivers, please contact the Office of Fellowships and Awards in the Graduate School: 206.543.7152 or