University of Washington   Site Index | Contacts    
The Graduate School logo and picture of graduating Ph.d. students

Search the Graduate School


 |  Admissions  |  Resources for Students  |   Resources for Faculty & Staff  |  About the Graduate School  | 


Student Grievances and Conduct Matters

Graduate student grievances and proceedings for misconduct at the University of Washington may follow one or another of several paths to seek resolution, depending on the circumstances of the case and the parties involved.  The chart below displays the available options, which are amplified in the appended text.


Graduate student disciplinary proceedings for misconduct, including plagiarism and cheating, fall under the provisions of the Student Conduct Code contained in the University Handbook, Vol. 33, Part III, Chapter 1 (1996) and Chapter 478-120-WAC. Note that these provisions relate to student status only and do not apply to situations arising in an employment context, e.g., teaching assistants. Schools and colleges typically use internal procedures as a first step in resolving these types of disputes.


Unfair Academic Treatment
Graduate students who believe they have been subjected to unfair treatment in the administration of academic policies may seek resolution of their grievance by following the steps outlined in Graduate School Memorandum No. 33. Both informal and formal measures are available. This process may also be used for employment-related grievances for graduate appointees who are not in the UAW Local 4121 bargaining unit. �

Grade Changes
Graduate students contesting individual grades or academic evaluations should refer to the Change of Grade procedure contained in the University Handbook, Vol. IV, Part III, Chapter 11, Section 2 (1999). �

Graduate students who believe they have been discriminated against on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, or status as a disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran should refer to the Resolution of Complaints Against University Employees procedures contained in the University of Washington Administrative Policy Statement 46.3. �

If discrimination is perceived by a graduate student in an ASE employment situation the UW/UAW 4121 contract (Article 19) should be consulted.� �


Employment Grievances For Academic Student Employees (ASEs) in the UAW 4121 bargaining unit. �Employee grievances for Academic Student Employees in the UAW 4121 bargaining unit are covered by Article 8 of the UW/UAW 4121 contract.

Homepage   |   Search the Graduate School Website

The  Graduate School        Computing & Information Resources    Modified:  09/12/11

 The Graduate School   G-1 Communications Building    Box 353770  
University of Washington  Seattle  WA   98195   Phone: 206-543-5900 

  Copyright  2007