The Graduate School
G-1 Communications Building
Seattle, Washington 98195-3770
University of Washington Graduate Admissions
Welcome, we are pleased that you are considering graduate study at the UW!
Before you apply, you need to know that graduate admission procedures vary by institution. At the UW, graduate admissions is decentralized. So although the Graduate School works closely with graduate programs on technical, administrative and policy issues, graduate programs have a great deal of autonomy. Understanding the role of the Graduate School and the role of graduate programs will help
you successfully navigate graduate admissions at the UW. It will also help you know who to contact when you have questions.
The role of the Graduate School in graduate admissions:
- establish minimum admission requirements
- support the online application for graduate study at the UW
- process requests for I-20 and DS-2019 visa applications
- verify degrees of applicants who accept an offer of admission
- evaluate English proficiency requirement for non-native English speakers
The role of a graduate program in graduate admissions:
- establish admission requirements for a degree program
- set application deadlines
- decide what application materials are required
- review applications
- make admission decisions
- notify applicants of admission decisions
Now that you know more about graduate admissions at the UW, here are tips for getting started:
- Review minimum admission requirements and basic information about applying
- Research graduate programs. Select a graduate program and review admissions requirements, deadlines and application materials. Then visit the program's website and contact the program if you have any questions.
Ready to apply? Begin your online Application for Graduate Study at the University of Washington. Create your applicant profile and start an application today. You can return to it at anytime to continue working on it.
After you have submitted your application, you can check the status of your application on your Graduate Application Status Page. You get to this page
by logging in as a Returning Applicant. Here is what you can expect after applying:
- Admissions reviews can be take up to four months. If a program does not
indicate on the Graduate Application Status Page when decisions are made, you will need to contact the program for its timeline.
- The graduate program will notify you of its decision either by email or by postal mail. The decision will also be reflected on your Graduate Application Status Page.
- If you are offered admission, you will be instructed to accept or decline
the offer of admission on your Graduate Application Status Page.
- If you accept an offer of admission, next steps will appear on your Graduate Application Status Page. Next steps are things that you need to do before you enroll in classes at the UW.
Foreign applicants who indicated that they would be requesting an I-20 or DS-2019 visa application will be given instructions.
- If you decline an offer of admission, you will be asked to complete a short survey on your Graduate Application Status Page.